Health and Exposure Update: Second confirmed case of COVID-19
Out of an abundance of caution, the University of Georgia is making the campus community aware of the following situation related to COVID-19:
- An undergraduate in the Honors Program has reported to the University Health Center testing positive for COVID-19. The individual has reported last being on campus on March 7. The individual has been advised to self-isolate at home and is not in the Athens area.
Health officials continue to take precautionary measures to quickly identify cases of COVID-19 and take appropriate public health action to reduce its spread and protect the general public in identifying potential contacts.
Ensuring the anonymity of individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 is critical. If you are aware of their identities, please respect their privacy so they can focus completely on their health.
While we understand the concerns and fear around COVID-19, it is extremely important to stay calm and maintain a close eye on your health and any symptoms that may arise. The symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough and shortness of breath. Most cases of COVID-19 are mild with symptoms similar to a cold.
- Call ahead before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room.
- Tell your doctor about your recent travel and your symptoms.
- Avoid contact with others.
We each have a responsibility to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and our community. To help prevent the spread of coronavirus, take appropriate measures, including:
- Adhere to social distancing practices and CDC guidance regarding groups and group activity.
- Wash hands regularly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with tissues.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Be responsible and courteous to others and stay home if you are sick or experiencing symptoms.
- Respect personal space when greeting others and during conversations.
- Be mindful of those in high risk populations such as those with underlying health conditions and the elderly.
- Follow CDC and DPH guidance on personal and business travel to avoid increasing your risk and that of others.
For accurate and reliable information about COVID-19, visit cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov. Please monitor UGA’s coronavirus website for further updates.